Sunday, 28 April 2013

Tea and Biscuits at the Citadel – Marie Egles Carhart on behalf of Author J.R. Egles @KabriniMessage


 

My latest guest has travelled all the way from New Jersey in the United States, and in the space of half a day has already redecorated half of the servants' quarters and utterly flustered the housekeeper.  She has even managed to get the footmen to wear bright lemon pantaloons and lime jackets.  Heaven knows where they got them from!

She has definitely brought a zesty, bright aura to the Citadel, and is already making plans with Princess Ruby to paint the dungeons. I just hope she's not thinking about changing the gnomes' quarters. The little creatures have only just recovered from the last makeover 200 years ago, when Baron Dosky painted two of the doors green before accidently falling into a well.

On a more serious note, we are touched to hear that she is here on behalf of her late brother, Joe Egles, and we wish her all the success in the world.  His book looks like a real Sci-fi smasher and you can read more about Joe on his Amazon Profile.



                             

We are extremely pleased you have journeyed to us in the Karkonose, Marie. Can you tell us something about the place where you usually dwell and your background?

Well, you can tell that my situation is different than most by the fact that I had difficulty answering the very first question, which was only, “Author’s Name”.  Uh oh, do they get even trickier?

The book I had published is called The Kabrini Message and it’s a book that my late brother, Joe, wrote back in 1987.  Joe passed away in 2010 and I came across his manuscript, in a box of old photos from my mother’s house, in my attic a year later.  It took a year and a half, but I am thrilled and so very grateful to report that The Kabrini Message was published by Etopia Press in eBook format on January 18th of this year and the print release is next week!

I have to admit, I am somewhat intimidated to follow some of the very talented and creative authors that arrived here shortly before me.  They are a tough act to follow under any circumstances, but especially for me, as I am not a writer.  I almost backed out entirely, but then I decided that since it would be ridiculous to even try to “fit in”, I should just be myself (for better or worse!).  That’s usually good advice in any situation; so hopefully, it will even work well here at the Citadel.

ML:  You are fitting just right in, I can assure you.  Ruby is overjoyed. 


So in answer to your question about dwelling and background:  Joe and I are both from New Jersey.  Yes, it’s near New York, but the accent IS different, no matter what you may have heard.  In fact, people from New Jersey really don’t have an accent at all, that’s a common myth.  And we are NOTHING like the characters in “The Real Housewives of New Jersey”, “Jerseylicious” or “The Sopranos”.  If you don’t get any of those TV shows here in the Karkonose, consider yourselves lucky.

*update: ML: Marie has just informed me that there is also a famous show called "Joisey Sore". This had us baffled for quite a while until Bindl kindly informed us that it is called "Jersey Shore".

When I’m not working on Joe’s book (aka, in my real life) I am a commercial interior designer specializing in hotels and restaurants.  Oh, that reminds me… (always networking)…if I may be of any assistance while I’m here, please do not hesitate to ask.  Not that I’m criticizing, but there does seem to be so much grey - and citrus colors are so hot this year – might I suggest a splash of color in your fortress?  And I’m not one to complain, but the noise level is deafening!  Who could sleep here?  Not everyone is nocturnal (or perhaps here they are?).  It’s caused by all the hard surfaces, you know.  Some carpeting on those drafty stone floors would not only help with the acoustics, but cut down on that cold clammy feeling as well.  Then again, perhaps that’s the vibe you were going for - your home should reflect your true self.

But enough about me…

Joe had a great love of several things:  astronomy, building his own telescopes, photography and ham radio among the top priorities.  So not surprisingly, his one and only novel combines his love of stars and planets along with communication. 

As far as what Joe was like, he was extremely intelligent and very funny, with a sense of humor and a quick wit so similar to the dialogue between some of his characters in The Kabrini Message that I can hear his voice when I read it!

 
Are you enjoying your visit to the Citadel?

 Oh, yes, very much!  I hope I didn’t make it seem otherwise when I made a few small suggestions before.  It’s just a hazard of the trade.  I can’t seem to help myself. 

But I am enjoying every minute.  It’s so…different and um, unique…from anything I’ve ever seen before.  I’m definitely not in New Jersey anymore!  This is my first trip to Europe.  Is it all, um, like this?

Tell us what is happening to you at the moment.

 Well, again, I’m not a writer, but I have been living vicariously as one for the past two years and let me tell you…it has given me a tremendous respect for writers.  I think it’s like owning a Bed and Breakfast.  Everyone dreams of doing it until they actually do and then realize it’s not all glitz and glamour and a lot of hard work!

For the first year I was busy trying to get a literary agent, and working with a professional writer/editor to polish and update the novel. 

I began the second year by abandoning my plan of getting an agent and went directly to publishers, which was much more successful.  But was my work done then?  No!  While waiting for the book’s release (and waiting…and waiting…) came setting up social media such as a facebook page, twitter account, creating a video trailer (who knew such things even existed?) and a blog for the book.  Even if I was a writer, who the heck would have the time?

But I naively thought that once the book came out, I could finally breathe a sigh of relief and say, “Mission accomplished!”

NOT SO FAST…there’s virtual book tours, book blasts, blog hops and something called “swag”.  Yikes! I don’t even know what any of these words mean…you people have your own language!

No wonder Margaret Mitchell always said she’d never write another book after Gone With The Wind…it’s exhausting…and I didn’t’ even write this one!

Do you have anything exciting lined up for the future?

Yes!  As I mentioned before, The Kabrini Message print release is next week and I have a book tour coming up with www.Book-Tours.com in June.  But in between I am embarking on my first….oh, excuse me, my second (including my current time here in the Karkonose Mountains) trip to Europe!  I am extremely excited about that.  I will be in Barcelona and several stops in Italy and France.

Upon my return, I will immediately begin work on the next step for The Kabrini Message, which is to develop it into a screenplay.  Yes, I am a glutton for punishment it seems.

But in all seriousness, this whole journey has been such a wonderful and educational experience and I have made so many incredible friendships and met so many fabulous people that I now cannot imagine not having in my life.  I’ve learned so much about so many things and stretched so many boundaries that I find it difficult to even put into words what an amazing gift this entire experience has been.  I feel truly blessed, overwhelmed with gratitude and, all kidding aside, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world!


We employ lots of gnomes here at the citadel. They are quite rambunctious and troublesome at times, and often refuse to work. Do you have any tips on looking after them?

 

Yes, you can try a DVD of the movie, Gnomeo and Juliet


   ©Walt Disney Studios, 2011

 

 
Depending on their point of view, you can either employ it as tool of reward if they are good or punishment if they are bad.  I have a feeling they would not be too fond of it, so perhaps the latter would be most beneficial. 

ML: I believe we did show this once and unfortunately it led to a small riot.  It is not often they get to see females, you see. 


I have a long running feud with Vlad Dracula, who lives over in Transylvania. He thinks I stole his wife and will not let it lie. Do you any recommendations on how I should deal with the grumpy old curmudgeon?

First of all, are you absolutely certain there is no basis for his suspicious beliefs?  If there is, stop denying it and just tell him the truth and he will eventually have to “deal with it”. 

However, if there is no truth to this and he is just being paranoid, try explaining to him that if she did run off with someone else, he is far better off without her.  Somewhere in Transylvania there is someone truly deserving of the love of Vlad Dracula (did I just say that?).  But unless he puts the past behind him, he may miss the future that is just waiting for him.  So, basically… Get over it!

ML: He can put that one in his pipe and smoke it!
 

My wife Ruby says I spend too much time in the local village and not enough time counting turnips for her. How can I keep her happy?

Well, the obvious answer would be to stop spending so much time in the local village and more time counting turnips.   But I happen to know that one is NEVER to even mention turnips in your presence as “the very thought of those dreadful things” make you cross.  (Remember though, I didn’t bring them up, you did.  Boy, I’ll bet a picture of the “dreadful things” would really piss you off!)

 
  ML: GAH!!!


So, since you are apparently opposed to that option, I suggest the following:

Offer to bring your wife with you on occasional trips to the village.  Not every time, but maybe once every week or two.  Think of it as a “date night”.

Regarding the “counting turnips” thing, does it really matter how many there are?  If so, maybe you could hire a gardener to do it.  If you are truly as repulsed by them as you say AND it would help keep peace in your relationship, it would be well worth the expense.

Wow, I feel like the “Dear Abby” of the Karkonose!

 
How can people find you on this Internet thing-a-me-jig? Do you have a web address or other ways that lovely book fans can read more about you?

Yes, thank you for asking and thank you so much for inviting me to visit your magnificent home!




Blog

Pinterest

Twitter  



                                                                 The Kabrini Message



ML: You are most welcome, Marie.  We have been moved by your visit. I am sure your late brother would be very proud of you.


Oh, nearly forgot. Here is the synopsis of The Kabrini Message:




They had finally made contact.  And the world would never be the same…


Jeffrey Driscoll is a rugged yet charming adventurer with a hidden consciousness: when he gazes through the eyepiece of his telescope, he senses someone is looking back.  Haunted by the stars since boyhood, he sets off on an exhilarating quest that takes him across the planet.  Not quite sure what he seeks, Driscoll only knows he must keep moving. Throughout his reckless escapades, Driscoll is often accompanied by Mondo (a childlike, affable young African), Mohammed (a surly, sun-blasted Arab) and Goldstein (a cynical New York Jew), an unlikely trio that never fails to plunge face-first into hilariously perilous predicaments.



When an uptight British archeology professor hires the ragtag crew for a dig on the Greek island of Delos, Driscoll stumbles upon a miraculous find: ancient crystals with celestial coordinates that will connect mankind with the Kabrini, a highly advanced alien civilization.  Driscoll’s groundbreaking discovery ultimately leads to Planet Earth’s first global space effort, the Legacy mission.

Years later, when Driscoll Mining and the U.S. Army complete deep space construction of the Kabrini communications network, the Legacy mission is deemed a success.  Mankind finally makes contact…only to discover the Kabrini Message isn’t exactly what we want to hear.  The Kabrini view our civilization as one of heightened intelligence yet no spiritual enlightenment—a dangerous combination.  Although the wise alien race has the ability to offer mankind limitless knowledge and staggering technological advances, they fear our barbaric people will only use the information for evil.

As if to prove the Kabrini right, a fanatical terrorist group’s hunger for revenge leads to an explosive turn of events, threatening the Kabrini network; but Driscoll will stop at nothing to save the project.  As his obsession with the Kabrini grows and the Legacy mission spirals out of control, he risks losing it all—his company, his grasp on what’s most important, and the one thing he’s ever truly loved: his wife, Carol.

This thrilling Adventure meets Sci-Fi saga takes readers across the globe and beyond, from the jungles of Africa to the Islands of Greece, from the streets of London to the tombs of Egypt, from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles, Jamaica, and Vienna, and finally to the deepest depths of space and Earth’s first global space effort, the Legacy mission.

Join Jeffrey Driscoll and all of mankind on an unforgettable journey to alien contact and universal enlightenment in The Kabrini Message.


****************************************
 

7 comments:

  1. Yet another of the literati with whom I have been associated. Kabrini Message deserves to do well. When does the scroll come out?
    Marie, I think ye carpete idea and citrus colours is just too American for this playce. We enjoye harde floors and darke corners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're fitting in just fine Marie! Pst...and personally, I agree, a little splash of color here and there probably woudn't hurt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the spiders will like it Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Steve, I needed dark corners to hide in up there. It's scary. Of course I wouldn't have admitted that - and I wouldn't now, but as it's just us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up some valid points,we don't want to run the risk of becoming the Ritz-Carlton Karkonose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, enjoyed the interview and loved how you worked in a few suggestions for the decor. The Kabrini Message was written with passion and published with love. Kudos to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgive me, my lady. I have spotted and modified a typographical error in paragraph 3. I was about to have the gnome responsible flogged, but Ruby persuaded me otherwise. As punishment he will be sent to the turnip patch.

    ML



    ReplyDelete

Campaign of the Gods - Trailer

The Mountain Lord on Twitter