Friday, 3 May 2013

Tea and Biscuits with Author Candace L. Bowser



The Citadel has been graced with a rather ethereal and mysterious presence of late who goes by the name of Candace L Bowser.  She is at once, incredibly urbane and charming, but also possesses an aura of the Otherworld that I have not sensed for quite some time - not since the episode with the werewolf in Old Man Wenceslas' garden shed.
I also have the nagging feeling that she might be secretly working for Vlad Dracula so I have sent Boris, my chief spy, to keep an eye on her. However, I think her trail may have gone cold somewhere in the Forest of Confusion.
Before Candace disappeared in a puff of fragrant smoke, she took the time to answer my questions.


                             
We are extremely pleased you have journeyed to us in the Karkonose. Can you tell us something about the place where you usually dwell and your background?
I was born in Altoona, Pennsylvania, reared in Bedford County, and currently reside in the Kansas City Metro area in a mystical land called ‘the apartment’ with two cats (at least I think they are cats. They could be fairies in disguise) and my loving husband. My writing experience is varied. During the 1980’s I wrote for PRS magazine in Kansas City, and in 2011 was named one of the Top Twenty Most Prolific Authors of the year. My work has been featured on Faces of Kansas and the Jon Austin Book Club. I have twelve published books with two under contract with GMTA Publishing and three more in the works. Generally, horror is what draws me, but I also write paranormal romance, suspense, and intrigue.

Are you enjoying your visit to the Citadel?
I have found the Karkonose Mountains to be a place of great enlightenment and fantasy. Perhaps I shall stay awhile.
 
Tell us what is happening to you at the moment as a writer.
Right now my thoughts are lost in two upcoming novels which will be released under a pen name at the suggestion of an agent, who stated that though they like my work considerably, they suggested trying a pen name, something more intriguing, and requested a bit of a re-write on the submitted work…. (Rest assured, I am smiling deviously at this moment), so those are consuming a great deal of my time. I also am considering different venues for forthcoming releases and have three separate public libraries on the coast which would like me to come do a book signing. This summer two books are to be released with my new publisher.
 
Do you have anything exciting lined up for the future?
I have two upcoming releases, one in June and one in July/August. The first one is The Mirror (a paranormal romance which involves a cursed mirror, secret societies, and the Catholic Church) and Memoirs of an Immortal Life (which details the lives of three very connected people, Vlad Tepes, Belcor Tepes, and Belcor’s daughter from 13th century bastions to the present day).

ML: Vlad Tepes? Surely not...HIM. GAH!!!

We employ lots of gnomes here at the citadel. They are quite rambunctious and troublesome at times, and often refuse to work. Do you have any tips on looking after them?
I have always found that gnomes can be plied with a bit of good garden tending and sweet fragrant wine, one with a bit of flower essence. Perhaps you have just not found the right ‘essence’ they prefer!

ML: If you are ever stuck for a job, we may have a post for you here as Head Gnome Keeper, Candace. I fear I may be treating them too harshly.

I have a long running feud with Vlad Dracula, who lives over in Transylvania. He thinks I stole his wife and will not let it lie. Do you any recommendations on how I should deal with the grumpy old curmudgeon?
Alas, I am afraid no words of wisdom can be offered. Vlad and I are quite well acquainted; I am afraid he would look poorly upon such involvement. (and I should like to keep my head and my blood where it is…)

My wife Ruby says I spend too much time in the local village and not enough time counting turnips for her. How can I keep her happy?
Count your turnips and give her jewelry…what fair maiden does not like a shining bobble or two? Then it is off to the pub!
ML: I am hoping Ruby does not see this one.  She has already cost me a fortune over the centuries.

I failed in my last attempt to unleash chaos on the world.  Can you think of a way I should employ my powers to redeem myself and make the world a better place?
Redeeming one’s self is such a boring and arduous task. Besides, most of them will not believe you have truly changed. So I say practice and once again wreak havoc. The rewards and the bounty of such dis-pleasurable behaviour surely will attract others of a like mind!

How can people find you on this Internet thing-a-me-jig? Do you have a web address or other ways that lovely book fans can read more about you?
My ebooks are available everywhere (ie Smashwords, Amazon, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, Apple etc..)
My printed works are available through Amazon and Lulu.
My website address is www.candacelbowser.com where active links to all of my pages are available.


ML: I really love the magical Celtic feel of this. Lovely cover, too. Thanks for coming, Candace.





**************************************

5 comments:

  1. oh..how nice to be back just quietly visiting....nice post you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shehanne. Findl has finally returned to us. He is slightly bruised, but none too worse for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry mountain lord, I will send some elastoplasts..tartan ones...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for having me, Mountain Lord, as a visitor to your lair. Boris is rather pleasant, I must say, and did so enjoy the hot spiced rum and biscuits last evening...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are completely welcome, Candace. Our pleasure, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Campaign of the Gods - Trailer

The Mountain Lord on Twitter