Friday, 17 May 2013

Tea and Biscuits with P.S Bartlett @PSBartlett


Today we have the lovely PS Bartlett here at the Citadel. Her magical debut novel Fireflies is already creating something of a buzz, and we are blessed that she has taken the time out of her busy schedule to come over and visit us. We, of course, especially love paranormal fiction here on Hrom Hora, and she had added a fascinating historical element to the mix.
The gnomes have taken a shine to her gentle ways and I fear that she will be taking a few of them back to Baltimore - whether she wants to or not. If I were her, I would put them straight to work in doing menial household tasks and constructing a secret writing chamber where she can escape to.


We are extremely pleased you have journeyed to us in the Karkonose. Can you tell us something about the place where you usually dwell and your background?
I’m extremely pleased to be here as well! I’ve never been fortunate enough to have visited a place like this. I grew up in the inner city, in a place called Baltimore. I’m the youngest of eleven children and now reside in the county. In America, we call it “suburbia.” It’s a nice place to live but if I had my choice, I’d be living on an island in the Caribbean.

Are you enjoying your visit to the Citadel?
Absolutely! As I said, I’ve never been to a place like this. I love to travel and have been to many wonderful places but none so unique and interesting as the Citadel.

Tell us what is happening to you at the moment as a writer.
I’m riding a rollercoaster. My debut novel “Fireflies” was released the beginning of April and so far, the reviews have been wonderful and I’ve been very happy with the whole process. However, it is also very stressful as I want and need to get back to writing but first and foremost, I must do everything I can to ensure that “Fireflies” continues to succeed.
ML: We are pleased it is going well. Kitty from GMTA is celebrated here in the Citadel, where she is one of the gnomes’ ‘4 Disciples of Gnomism’.

Do you have anything exciting lined up for the future?
If my husband is still awake when I get upstairs…oh you meant with my writing!
Absolutely! I’m working on a prequel to “Fireflies.” There is so much more of the story before the story that needs to be told.
ML: Ruby is over the moon about this and is already making space on her Kindle (Candle?) thing.

We employ lots of gnomes here at the citadel. They are quite rambunctious and troublesome at times, and often refuse to work. Do you have any tips on looking after them?
As a mother, I find positive reinforcement a very good tool in getting little people to do their chores. However, I have no experience with gnomes and I’m afraid a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese or letting them stay up past their bed time wouldn’t work. Have you tried begging?
ML: I have tried most methods.. I usually have them begging for mercy in the torture chamber. You could be on to something with being kind to them. However, cheese is most definitely bad – they are addicted to the stuff, and it often leads to cheese riots.

I have a long running feud with Vlad Dracula, who lives over in Transylvania. He thinks I stole his wife and will not let it lie. Do you any recommendations on how I should deal with the grumpy old curmudgeon?
Well if he’s right, I’ve heard she’s a pretty cold fish anyway so just put her in a box and ship her back.  If he is mistaken, you can kill two birds with one stone and send the gnomes over to take his mind off of it. I’m sure they could keep him busy.
ML: Sending him some gnomes would be a sure way of tormenting him. I wonder if I could send a few through the post. Hmm?

My wife Ruby says I spend too much time in the local village and not enough time counting turnips for her. How can I keep her happy?
Counting turnips? How many turnips does one woman need I ask you? For goodness sakes most women only need a few and it shouldn’t take that long to count them. Just make a good guess and take her with you to the village for an evening of romance and moonlight. She’ll soon forget about vegetables and be counting stars with you.

I failed in my last attempt to unleash chaos on the world.  Can you think of a way I should employ my powers to redeem myself and make the world a better place?
The damage is done. All you can do is start over and the best place to start is at the beginning.
Make it rain only at night and allow the sun to shine all day long. Play soft beautiful lullabies to lull the world to sleep and lively reels to rouse everyone from their beds in the morning - dancing. Throw lightening at the evil folk and fill every sail on the sea with a hearty wind. Please keep the snow only on the mountain tops. I love me some snow-capped mountains.
Last but not least…drown every turnip seed. Yes, that should do it!
ML: You certainly know how to keep a chaos lord busy! I suspect you have more knowledge and skills than you are letting on.

How can people find you on this Internet thing-a-me-jig? Do you have a web address or other ways that lovely book fans can read more about you?






ML: Thank you for taking time to visit us, Peggy.  Best of luck with Fireflies, and we hope you are able to find the time to write its prequel.


*********************************

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me as your guest. May I make a reservation for next Spring? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mountain Lord you make sure she never kidnapped these gnomes. Her book sounds lovely as for what she does with her hubby...

    ReplyDelete

Campaign of the Gods - Trailer

The Mountain Lord on Twitter